Saturday, September 04, 2010

How I Spent My First Day Alone Since My Surgery

Today was the first day I have been home alone since I had my Thyroid surgery on August 25th.  Greg went back to work yesterday after staying home with me for a week.  My mom has been coming over every day for the past few days helping me clean/organize my house.  She was here yesterday while Greg was back at his first day of work, as was my Aunt who helped us by mowing our lawn, working in our yard, and feeding me lunch.  Aunt Rene loves yard work, so I think she enjoyed herself, and I know I REALLY appreciate her help with the yard.  It looks fabulous.  

As much as I love and appreciate my family's help I decided I was doing well enough to take care of my basic needs and that I needed a quiet day to myself today.  I think my mom deserved a break today too.  She has been working so hard in my home making it look fabulous and doing things I haven't had the energy to do for a very long time.

It was a nice day today and I've felt pretty good for the most part.  Since my surgery I have had a lot of uncomfortable swelling in my neck.  It often feels like I have a softball lodged in my throat, and it is worse if I lay down because of the pressure of the swelling laying on my throat as I breath, so since I have been home from the hospital I have only had one night where I felt good enough to sleep in my own bed.  Last night I had a lot of swelling again and spent the time sleeping in my faithful recliner.  By this morning I was feeling a lot better, my swelling had gone down quite a bit, so when Greg left for work I went to lay down in bed to see if I could get some rest.  I was able to lay down and sleep and it felt so good to get some rest in my own bed.  I think that is the best sleep I have received since my surgery.

I woke up today not sure of exactly what I was going to do.  I did surf the net for a bit, and then I skimmed the television, but nothing on TV caught my eye, so I decided it was the perfect day to just relax and spend time in my craft room.  I had a fun few hours in there just being creative and making a card with a new stamp that I purchased at JoAnn earlier this week.

Here are the results of my afternoon in my craft room:

Fabulous Friend card for a fabulous friend of mine.

I'm planning on sending this card to a great friend and fellow card maker who came to visit me in the hospital and brought me a special get-well gift.  I hope she will enjoy the card as much as I enjoyed making it.

I'm really enjoying my time crafting here lately.  It's relaxing and refreshing.  Perhaps I will spend some time in there again tomorrow too. I will have to see how I feel.  :-)

For those who are interested here is a list of the supplies and tools I used to make the above card:
  • Misc. cardstock
  • SU Blender Pens
  • SU Water Color Wonder Crayons
  • SU Smooch Spritz in Vanilla Shimmer
  • Organza Ribbon
  • Pop Dots
  • SU "Oval All" stamp set "Fabulous Friend" stamp
  • Inkadinkado stamp (the nest image)
  • SU Scallop Edge Punch
  • SU Small Oval Punch
  • SU Scallop Oval Punch
  • Fiskars 3-in-1 Corner Embossing Punch - Swan Lake (I got this on clearance at JoAnn this week for $3.95. Awesome deal!)
  • Chalk Ink (to ink the edge of the main front stamped image)

No comments: