Friday, August 11, 2006

If I set my mind to it I WILL loose weight and be healthy!

I have decided to dedicate a part of this blog to sharing my journey to weight loss and better health. I am extremely overweight and have been overweight since childhood. Frankly I am tired of living life in this miserably fat body of mine. I see so many people who are healthy and physically fit and are able to enjoy their day to day lives without the restrictions that being overweight causes one to have. I want to become one of those people. I am SICK and TIRED of sitting on the sidelines watching life pass me by! I want to be able to enjoy activities like going to the beach, swimming, taking scenic walks, flying on an airplane without worrying that I might not fit in the plane seat comfortably, and taking in all that this world has to offer me. I don't want to miss out on all the things I see that I'd like to do. I no longer want to let life pass me by and then someday have to look up and say that I missed it all because I was too lazy and lacked the self-control to make my life better. I don't want to die young because I was too stupid and lazy to care enough about myself to take the measures to help me live a longer life. I want to be healthy so that my husband and I can have children of our own before we are too old to do so, and once I have those children I want to be able to play with them and teach them how to do things without having my weight restrict me from keeping up with them. I want to be healthy enough to live a long life and see my children have children of their own. I want to be sitting on a porch with my husband rocking in a rocking chair and have someone call me Grandma and him Grandpa someday. Unless I make DRASTIC changes in my life RIGHT NOW this is a vision that will NEVER be a reality for me. I MUST take the steps today to make it a reality! Taking control of my health and my weight is ABSOLUTELY essential to my happiness, my well being, and my future!

The following is a copy of a response to a thread I posted on Scrapshare. One of the members, purplesockslady and I were emailing about teaming up as online weight loss buddies and she suggested starting a thread so that other's could join us in our efforts to support each other as we work on loosing weight.

My ultimate weight loss goal is to loose 123 lbs. I would love to do this by my anniversary in October of 2007. Of course, my husband and I also want to start a family, so even if I do not loose that much weight by then, I would at least like to loose enough to help me have a more healthy pregnancy should I get pregnant in the coming months. I know I shouldn't diet while trying to get pregnant so I will concentrate on eating healthy foods rather than eliminating a lot of different foods.

I need to eat breakfast everyday and to eat home cooked meals at least 4-5 days a week or more. Because I am so out of shape I know that I can't go all out on an exercise program, but I'd like to try and start walking or doing some type of cardio exercise at least 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. As I get more and more in shape then I hope to increase my exercise.

I've been overweight since childhood, but it has gotten progressively worse over the past 5 or 6 years. I probably have packed on an extra 10 to 15 lbs a year since I got married almost 5 years ago. I've let it sneak up on me, but I have not been good about taking off the pounds I pack on. I have really packed on the pounds since April. I've probably put on 8 - 10 lbs. easily in the past 4 months, and I feel horrible! The worst I've ever felt because of my weight. Since that time I've been eating out probably 5-6 days a week and eating dinners alone because my husband is working nights. Because I'm alone I've gotten lazy about cooking at home, and I have a hard time thinking of what I can cook for one without having a lot of extra food left over, so I tend to go all day without eating much. Come dinner time I'm starving so I don't want to take the time to cook and I just go all out on a big fast food or take out meal. I have been horrible about eating take-out or fast food meals, and I've noticed I've become a boredom eater too. I've especially started hitting the sweets, which is something I never really did before.

I have to say that for the first time in my life I really do feel like I'm out of control when it comes to my eating and gaining weight, but I know that I HAVE to take control of myself RIGHT NOW or I will DIE YOUNG and never have that chance to have a family of my own!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cathy.. you sound EXACTLY like me. Hmm only thing holding me back..procrastination, lazy, routine, hmmm what else. Where is the magic wand. I know I should eat better..but by golly that stuff tastes good. I miss our weight watchers days. I really did something good..haa. Not since. :o( Sarah