Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Story of the Cake That Went Splat

This is an entry from 2006 that I realized I left in draft without publishing it. I thought I would go ahead and publish it now, since it slipped off my radar when I first wrote this entry. (09-14-2008)

-Cathy

I just knew that someday this day would come, and today it happened. Here is the story...

For those of you that don't know, my mother-in-law makes wedding/special occasion cakes for a living. She usually has several wedding cakes every weekend and for the past year on her busiest weekends I have been helping her deliver them.

I love helping her because when we deliver the cakes it gives me the chance to see all of the differently decorated reception sites. Some of them are so beautiful. I've always had a fascination with weddings and sometimes thought it would be neat to be a coordinator. So for me it is fun to see some of the unique ideas that brides and grooms come up with.

The one thought that has always worried me while helping my mother-in-law is that I would accidentally drop a cake layer while carrying it. Some of those layers are HEAVY and sometimes we have to walk a long way from the car to the cake table. I've put my finger in the frosting while picking them up several times, but they have always been repairable mistakes. Somehow I always knew that the day would come that something would happen to a cake while in my care that was not repairable. Today was that day.

We had a huge Quinceanera cake to deliver to a reception. It was a beautiful cake in white frosting with different pink accents on each layer. There with several layers that were to be stacked on top of one another and then there were several separate smaller cakes that were to sit around the stacked cake.

I had almost all of the cake out of the car and into the hall when I went back to get a couple of the smaller cakes. I picked one up and suddenly it just slid right off of the cake board into the back of my Trailblazer. It was like slow motion, I could see it happening, but could do nothing to stop it. The darned caked landed on it's side, and I quickly thought if I stopped it from turning all the way over it may be salvageable. Wrong! I put my hand out to stop it and only made a bigger mess. I wanted to cry and get sick to my stomach all at the same time.

Luckily my mother-in-law is a very understanding woman, and has done the same thing herself before, and luckily the cake had enough layers to it that one missing layer wasn't going to be noticed. Thank the good Lord up above that it wasn't a main layer of a cake. Phew!

Hopefully that was the last of my bad luck when it comes to delivering cakes. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and out of the frosting.

No comments: