Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Stampin' - I spent a little time in my craft room today

I have a wonderful craft room set up in my home.  It is filled with just about every kind of tool, paper and embellishment imaginable to allow me at a moments notice to sit down and scrap, craft, or make a card.  The trouble is that I do not take the time to go in my craft room to enjoy that room and explore my creative side often enough.  

I always find myself doing other things, be it household chores, or spending too much time on the computer, or just plain finding excuses that I don't have the time to go in there and craft.  Lately, one of my excuses has been that my craft room desk was a bit of a cluttered mess from working on a few projects or bringing home projects from my card making group and placing them on my desk, then not putting things back where they belong.

As some of you know, I recently found out that I have thyroid cancer.  While the end outcome of my diagnosis should be positive and leave me thyroid cancer free (I go for surgery this week), finding out at 36 years of age that I have cancer really has made me reevaluate many aspects of my life and how I choose to live it.  One of those areas is putting myself first and participating in activities I enjoy more often.

Because of that I have decided that I need to make some personal enrichment changes in my life and spend more time using all of my tools and supplies that I have spent so much money purchasing.  I need to stop at least one day each week and just enjoy time doing something I absolutely love without feeling guilty that I should be doing something else.

SU Countryside Stamp Set
I decided that today would be a great day to get started on my new personal enrichment goal.  What better time to get my craft room organized and ready to easily use than right before my surgery?  I figure that as I'm recovering I will probably start to feel well enough that I will want to do more than just lay around or sleep, but I might not be up to full speed right away.  What a perfect time this upcoming recovery will be for me to get in there and spend some time being creative.

So, I spent the afternoon cleaning and organizing my craft desk.  I even finished cleaning in time to spend a few hours making a card using my new Stampin' Up stamp set, Countryside.  Here are some before and after pictures of my clean up job, as well the card I made today.  I absolutely love the way it turned out.  I think this new stamp set is definitely going to be on of my favorites.

My craft room before the cleanup today.  With my helpers Bella and Gigi doing a pre-cleanup inspection.

My craft room after the cleanup today.  It looks so much better and it is so nice to have everything reorganized and my desk clear so I can just go in my room and create.

The card I made today using my new set of SU Countryside stamps, and an older SU Stitched background stamp.

No comments: