Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Nov. 4, 2008 - Grattitude Post Challenge Day 3

Today I am thankful for living in a country which allows me the opportunity to vote and be a part of the democratic process. It is important to me to place my vote as a way of voicing my opinion of what matters the most to me.

Although I have some very strong political opinions I am not an openly political person. I don't feel the need, like many people do, to openly voice my political opinions and beliefs to others. The fact is I despise having political or religious discussions. My opinions are my own and I've never felt the need to debate them openly with others. I understand that there are people who think and believe very differently than I do, and even if I don't agree with their views I can respect them. I am even friends with many of those people.

For me voting is my way of voicing my opinion. It is my way of showing my support for the issues and candidates that are important to me, my values, and what I believe.

Whether or not the election is huge with many issues and candidates on the ballot, as is the case with today's Presidential election, or even if it is small with only one or two local issues to decide, I feel it is absolutely essential that I cast my ballot and make sure my voice is heard, even if it ends up not being the voice of the majority, at least I can still feel good knowing I did my part.

1 comment:

tosin said...

I am the same way! I have very specific beliefs, but do not feel the need to shout them off the rooftops or defend them unnecessarily.

~toemi~