Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Nov. 11, 2008 - Grattitude Post Challenge Day 10

I've been stressing today to come up with a post for the gratitude challenge. It's just been one of those days and I've been feeling a bit moody. It's not been a horrible day, but it has been one of those days where nothing has gone as I planned it. Whenever I have a bad day or I'm feeling a bit stressed the one thing that always helps my mood is listening to music.

I have absolutely no musical talents. I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument, but it is something I have never pursued and it is something I'm not sure I would even be good at if I tried. I've always had a secret dream of being a singer. I took a beginner voice class when I was in college. I loved that class, and as nerve wracking as it was, it was also exhilarating to stand up in front of an auditorium full of people and sing a solo as a final for the class. All these years later, that is still one of my proudest moments. I only wish my family and friends could have been there to see it. I don't think I could sing my way out of a bucket now, but that doesn't stop me daily from singing my head off in the shower and in the car every chance I get. My husband is either a saint or deaf for putting up with my singing in the car. It's just a habit. Most times I don't even realize I'm doing it, but I absolutely cannot stop, and truth be told I don't want to stop singing.

Despite my own lack of musical talent, I cannot imagine not being able to listen to music whenever I want to. I could handle having a lot of luxuries taken away from me, but please don't ever take my radio.

I'm not extremely picky when it comes to my musical style choices either. I like a wide variety, and what I'm into at the moment really depends on my mood. My absolute favorite style of music is modern country music, because I can understand the words and I can relate to so many of the lyrics. However, I also like pop, jazz, some rock, R&B, and some classical now and then.


I can't listen to the song Amazed by Lonestar without instantly thinking of my husband and the love I have for him. That was our first dance song at our wedding and while dating it was the the song he requested a DJ play the very first time he asked me to dance with him at a banquet we were attending.


I love how music can set the tone for any occasion. The right song can make an ordinary occasion and memory extraordinary. Just hearing certain songs can instantly take me back to certain moments in my life. There are so many songs that I love and here on the radio or on my iPod and they take me back to memories that make me laugh, smile, make my heart swell, cry, and even make me laugh.

So that is why today I am thankful for music and all it's therapeutic qualities!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well hunny, at least you know the words to the songs you sing. Unlike your mom who will start singing and then when she gets the words wrong or doesn't know them, starts to hum. I'm probably gonna catch flack for this comment, but OH WELL!