Monday, November 27, 2006

21 Christmas Questions - Here are my answers.

These 21 questions were presented to me on the scrapbooking message board I frequent and in several emails that I have received. I thought it would be fun to share my answers to these questions here on my blog.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate??
Hot Chocolate

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Santa wraps some presents and also puts some of them under the tree unwrapped, especially the bigger presents.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White lights on the tree, colored lights on the house, a mix of white and colored lights on the bushes, and red lights outline the grass in the yard.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
DH and I do a lot of decorating both inside and outside our home, and it usually takes me a good 4 or 5 days to decorate, so we start putting decorations up as soon as possible after Thanksgiving. DH and I usually start putting lights up on the house before Thanksgiving.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Hard to say. I like it all. If I had to pick a favorite it would be a tie between stuffing and ham.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
Waking up on Christmas morning at the crack of dawn and sneaking out of my room to go and look under the Christmas tree to see what Santa brought my sister and I and then going back and waking her up to tell her what he brought us. I'm 6 years younger than my sister, and now that I look back on those years I think there were times she wanted to strangle me for waking her up so early and spoiling the surprise. I've never been a morning person, but that was always the one day of year I could wake up before everyone else without an alarm.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I can remember the exact age, but I probably started to get suspicious at about 8 or 9 years old. My dad was a volunteer firefighter and also owned a dairy farm. Every year he would play Santa Claus at the fire departments annual Christmas party. I think I started to wise up and get suspicious when ever year dad would get a call that a fence broke and the cows got out, or there was another problem on the dairy that caused him to have to leave the party for a bit, and he never was able to return before Santa arrived at the party, but showed up shortly thereafter. Now I look back and just love those memories of knowing my dad was Santa and that some years my mom was Mrs. Claus and I was totally clueless at the time.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
It depends on who's side of the family we are spending Christmas Eve with. If we are spending it with DH's family, then yes, we open presents from his family. If we are spending it with my side of the family, then no, we don't open presents. My mom sends them home for us, so that DH and I have more presents to open at home on Christmas morning.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
I usually change it up from year to year, but we always use the same ornaments, just different ribbons or accessories. When my DH and I got married we carried on a tradition that has been in my family since I was little, and that is to buy one or two dated Hallmark ornaments a year. DH and I unbox all of our ornaments onto a table and then he hands them to me as I place them on the tree. The current year's Hallmark ornament always goes in the front of the tree.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I love to drive up to the mountains and see the snow every winter. We don't ever get snow here where I live so I have no reason to dread it.

12. Can you ice skate?
No.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I've had so many over the years, it is hard to pick just one. As a child I would say it was a pair of white professional quality roller skates. We even got to take roller skating lessons at the local roller rink. As an adult it would have to be the beautiful ruby and diamond bracelet that my DH surprised me with on our very first Christmas together a few months after we had started dating.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Spending that special happy time with DH and my families and doing my part to make people smile. Last year after Christmas DH and I got a nice little note in our mailbox addressed to "My Neighbor". It was from the elderly neighbor two doors down that we don't know very well. She sent us a note just to tell us how much joy seeing all of the lights and decorations in our yard bring to her each year. It is a lot of hard work to decorate the way DH and I do each year, but for us that is what it is all about, bringing joy and a smile to someone else's life.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
My Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie or Egg Nog Cake that has become famous among family and friends the past several years.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Decorating my house for Christmas and also attending the children's mass on Christmas Eve. Seeing the children act out the gospel reading always brings a smile to my face and makes me misty eyed every year.

17. What tops your tree?
A big bow ribbon. I'm making a new one this year out of some new Christmas print ribbon that I purchased.

18. Which do you prefer.. giving or receiving?
I love them both equally.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Silent Night

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy?
I have to be in the mood for them. One or two a season is enough for me.

21. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Christmas Vacation and the original animated version of The Grinch.

No comments: