Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Broccoli Corn Au Gratin



This recipe was born tonight in my kitchen when as I was trying to come up with a side dish for dinner.  I was really craving broccoli and cheese, but I was also wanting something just a bit different, with a little more pizzazz than your ordinary broccoli and cheese sauce.  I headed to the grocery store to get some Velveeta cheese and broccoli, since I knew I didn't have any on hand, and then I came home to see what else I had in the kitchen that I could use with my purchase to create something new and different.  That my friends is how Broccoli Corn Au Gratin was born.

The Mexicorn style corn and Tabasco pepper sauce gives this dish a little kick, but not too much of one that you can't enjoy it, and the bacon bits add just a bit of meaty flavor to kick the dish up even one more notch.  I thought it was mighty tasty and just what I was craving.  I hope you will enjoy it too.

 
Broccoli Corn Au Gratin

Ingredients 

1-¼ c. fresh broccoli florets (10 oz.)
½ c. buttermilk 
¼ c. sour cream
3-4 dashes of Tabasco hot pepper sauce
½ tsp. kosher salt
ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 T. real bacon bits
1 T. Parmesan cheese
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
4 T. butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes
1 11 oz. can Mexicorn style corn, drained


Topping Ingredients

½ c. Matzo Meal crumbs
1 T. Parmesan cheese
3 T. butter, melted
¼ t. kosher salt


 
Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
 
 

Lightly grease a shallow 2 qt. baking dish.

Steam broccoli until tender, but still firm, approximately 2 ½ minutes in a microwave steamer.  Stove-top steaming time will vary.   




In a large mixing bowl combine the buttermilk, sour cream, Tabasco hot pepper sauce, ½ teaspoon of kosher salt, and ground black pepper.  Whisk together.  




 







To the buttermilk mixture add minced garlic, bacon bits, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, Velveeta cheese, and butter.  Stir mixture.


 





 




Next add drained Mexicorn and broccoli and mix until well coated.
  





 

Pour the mixture into your greased baking dish and spread evenly.  

 
 
In a small mixing bowl combine Matzo Meal crumbs, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt, and 3 tablespoons of melted butter and mix until Matzo Meal crumbs are coated with butter and crumbly in texture. 

  
 

 

Sprinkle Matzo Meal crumbs evenly over the broccoli mixture and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cheese sauce is bubbly and the Matzo Meal crumbs are golden brown. 


 
  





Enjoy!

No comments: